According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, the leading cause of accidental death in the United States is carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. The Center for Disease Control also reported that nearly 15,000 people were sent to emergency rooms due to CO poisoning and 480 of them died.
To keep you safe from this deadly attack, Northbay Heating & Air is here to offer you some helpful tips. Here are the steps on how you can avoid carbon monoxide poisoning this fall.
- Clean Your Fireplaces and Vents
Make sure to check your vents outside and remove the blockages such as leaves and other debris. If you have a fireplace at home, clean it thoroughly before firing it up. Even if you just had your vents and fireplace serviced, some issues may still go unnoticed. This is why you should never neglect regular cleaning and tune-up services on your heating system before it’s too late.
- Do Not Operate Your Engines in a Closed Area
To avoid CO poisoning, proper ventilation is necessary. Make sure not to start your car, fire up your stove or grill, or run your generator in a closed area like garage or basement. Take note that even if you leave your garage door open, the CO gas can still build up to a contaminated level.
- Sign Up for Annual Maintenance
Have at least once a year to get your fire-burning devices and appliances inspected by professionals. This will give you peace of mind that all your home equipment is running efficiently and properly. Above all, maintenance can save you from costly and fatal accidents that can happen in the future.
- Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector
CO is an odorless and colorless gas that could go around indoors. By installing a carbon monoxide detector, you can easily detect if the gas has entered your home and reached its maximum level. The device is responsible for monitoring the CO level in the air and sounding the alarm if a poisonous gas is detected. Install the device in each living area to keep your home safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Maintain Your CO Alarms Regularly
Let us assume you already have a carbon monoxide detector installed at home. Now, to keep it running at peak performance, you need to maintain it regularly. Most CO detectors will still operate even if the power source completely goes out. Thanks to its batteries that back up the device during power interruptions. Make sure to change the batteries at a frequency recommended by the manufacturer.
Homeowners with space heaters, furnaces, stoves, and other gas-emitting appliances should take precautionary measures ahead of time to prevent CO poisoning. Contact Northbay Heating & Air now so we can conduct a thorough inspection of your home and install CO detectors to keep your residential space safe.